Monday 5 July 2010

New Designers

Got back from London 10.00pm feeling exhausted after my grueling seven day stint, really excellent exhibition.I made many new friends and contacts, it was also pleasing to see so many ex students some of which I taught many years ago when they were on foundation here at Bradford, and also our forever keen second years who I walked the show with I must say they looked totally inspired by what they were seeing and one or two a little frightened by the very high standard they will try themselves to achieve next year. The one's that stood out for me was Buckingham, the work and presentation was excellent by any standards, one can see why they won best stand award. Derby and Loughborough too were of very much the same standard. I also met a student from Glasgow school of art who had done some amazing  laser cutting of fabric without getting the usual burnt edge, this student came to see me the next day jumping with joy at winning an award of a placement and cash price . Not forgetting my beloved Bradford we had many visitors to our stand  myself and my fellow students had some really firm interest. I will conclude by saying New Designers is certainly an excellent show case for new designers and for up and coming talent of the future.

3 comments:

  1. New Designers was fantastic so much talent under one roof .Your work is so inspirational ,I love the way the visual inspiration and the geometric pattern of the 20 and 30's comes through so strongly in your textile designs,but with a modern day twist Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done at New Designers. Very interesting and unusual samples. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see your work presented so beautifully on the web. I was fortunate to see your work at Bradford but I can now appreciate it more fully at my leisure. I have to agree with you about the Loughborough stand. I was captivated by the work of Lucie Fallows (who certainly gets my vote for the original weave presentation). Sarah May Johnson and Rebecca Honey I also thought produced interesting and lively work. But the part of the show I most enjoyed was the ceramics, particularly the extraordinary work of Angela Speight - an intricate mix of porcelain, drawing and photography. Outstanding. That alone made a hot afternoon at New Designers worthwhile. Good luck with the blog!

    ReplyDelete